Sunday, September 7, 2008

I Am Inspired by Community Organizers


Barack Obama on the importance of community organizing March 31, 2008

I have been fortunate enough to acquire knowledge and accumulate marketing experience in a variety of fields including the entertainment industry, the nightclub business, tourism, rocking with my cousin China in the diamond district (remember Icetek watches??) among others, but one of my most significant experiences thus far has been my work with one of my mentors, former State Assemblyman of the 57th District in Brooklyn, Roger Green. It was working with him that my eyes were open to local politics, activism and meeting community organizers who stand up and fight for what they believe in. Sarah Palin recently dismissed the importance of these organizers, essentially playing the dedication and hard work they put into the causes that a lot of times go unnoticed. The Sean Bell and Timothy Stansbury murders by NYC police, the Jena 6 situation, the rapid rising murder rates in our inner cities, the Rockefeller drug laws etc,. were all causes propelled by community organizers. These people, my friend, are the true agents of change in America. Get involved.

Sean Bell Protest

0 comments: